[Gllug] Ceasing an ADSL telephone line

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Sun Aug 19 09:25:17 UTC 2007

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, Paul Cupis wrote:

> > The ISP would not have known as BT do not place an ADSL cease until they
> > are actually processing the PSTN cease - often the day they actually cease
> > the phone line.
>
> FUD.

Not FUD but actual experience. I run an ISP every day.

> My employer gets notified 10 days before the ADSL/PSTN cease is due to
> complete by way of an order appearing on our BBCR reports with the order
> reference 'PSTN CEASE'. This gives us an oppotunity to contact the
> customer and find out why the line is being ceased. This also means that
> if the cease of ADSL is not required we can advise the customer to
> cancel the PSTN cease or advice BT not to process the ADSL cease.

That should be the way it happens but it does not always happen so and I
have experience of many occassions where the PSTN cease notice has arrived
either on the day of the cease or after the cease has completed.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG		     Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/	       up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk