[Gllug] Need fix for local network problems caused by Tiscali

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Aug 5 18:27:33 UTC 2007

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:15:35 +0100 John G Walker
<johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> So, the question now becomes one of how I configure my SuSE PCs (10.0,
> 10.1 *and 10.2) to not go to the internet for a local address.
> Possibly just an order of parameters in a config file somewhere?

I've eventually found the answer, so, for completeness, here it is:

In my Netgear router, reserve IP addresses for the PCs attached to my
LAN. (I've had the router for over a year now, and I didn't realise
until now that I could do this.)

Then edit etc/hosts to reflect the IP addresses.

Ensure that etc/host.conf says "order hosts, bind", reboot and it works!

Only took me four weeks! Tiscali told me six days ago that they'd have
it sorted within twenty-four hours, but still no sign of them doing
that.But they were prompt with the MAC, I'l give them that :)

--
 All the best,
 John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk