[Gllug] Securely disposing of old hard drives

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 09:58:51 UTC 2007

On Wed 22 Aug, Frank Scott wrote:

> Well most of the many drives I've taken apart have aluminium alloy platters with some
> sort ferromagnetic coating.

   I occasionally get a drive which is really dead, and have found that the
platters make excellent tough mirrors, while the head movement relies on a
very powerful flat magnet, useful for retaining papers in odd places. I have
even used a magnet to mark a safe place to drill through a ceiling, with a
compass to search for the magnet from below.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk