[Gllug] So no one has opinions about ISPs?

Paul M tallus at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 13:06:34 UTC 2007

On 8/2/07, John G Walker <johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 11:38:07 +0100 Dan Kolb <gllug at eco.li> wrote:
>
> > > Clearly now we should not even use DNS :-)
> >
> > Or do it yourself. It's really not hard.
>
> How would I find out how to do this?

If you just want to be able to look up records DNSCache [1]  does this
well. Its part of a larger package but you won't need all the rest
(e.g. tinydns), as its job is to provide a local lookup service while
other bits handle authoritative name serving etc

Instructions can be found here:

http://www.lifewithdjbdns.com/
http://www.djbdnsrocks.org/single/dnscache.htm

[1] It's written by djb (Dan Bernstein) and there are various reasons
why people have problems with the stuff he does, mostly to do with the
(lack of a) licence, rather than the software per se  (though he
writes it in a my or the highway sort of a way that generally doesn't
agree with the way other people do things. There is a lot of mileage
in the criticisms but do like the way djbdns does things so I'm
prepared to overlook them in this instance. YMMV.

Paul M

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk