[Gllug] Linux on Dell

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 12:47:48 UTC 2007

Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 12:22 +0100, Christian Smith wrote:
>> Doesn't seem much of a deal to me.
>>
>> And 60 for shipping? Wow, didn't realise all of Dell's margins were in
>> the shipping and handling.
>>
>> I think I'll continue searching for a new laptop.
>

> If you buy a laptop from Dell then you want to buy as a company and get
> the upgrade to next business day onsite support.

As far as I'm aware you cannot buy a Linux Laptop or desktop unit for
business use as Dell do not support them only the Linux based servers. I
have the link somewhere from a guy who tried to purchase one for his
business.

We are supposedly an authorised Dell reseller and even we get charged
the £50 delivery.

If anyone has an ASDA Living near them they are knocking out a pretty
good Acer Laptop for £275.00 including VAT I think its the same machine
as Currys are doing for £299.00. Staples are doing a pretty good Toshiba
for £339.00 with a printer, seeing as a printer is around the £30 mark I
reckon the the Tosh is about £300.

At this rate all us resellers will be out of business and you'll be able
to get a Laptop with three packets of Walkers crisps and £2.50 postage.

--
Regards

Peter cannon

"There is every excuse for not knowing