[Gllug] Securely disposing of old hard drives

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Mon Aug 20 15:02:16 UTC 2007

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 12:10:04PM +0100, John Winters wrote:

>> I'm intrigued by the number of people advocating destruction.
> These drives are really obsolete.  I think the largest one is 2 GB
A few points:

- If a drive is ATA and over 3 years old its obsolete :)

- Water will not bother the electronics. The electronics are washed in
water with a citrus additive to clean them after assembly.

- DBAN is great for drives that will be reused.

- Smashing the electronics does not prevent connecting new electronics
from another drive.

Simplest cheapest quickest solution is:

- take each drive and mount in a bench vice vertically board to the top
and facing you
- drill at least one 6mm hole through case, platters, electronics
- don't try and drill through the head assembly
- Dispose of legally (remember WEE).

Notes of caution:

- some platters are glass so will shatter, especially 2.5" drives. Wear
goggles and use gloves to handle the drilled drive, just in case.
- don't drill through the larger power transistors on the board. Some of
them are manufactured with toxic materials (Beryllium, amongst others).
Choose an area with tracks and small components.
- on your own head be it, don't blame me.

This procedure will prevent all but the most well-funded and dedicated
of investigators recovering data (though it is still possible), and is
quick and easy (given a sharp drill bit).

A further step (for the cautious) is heating to above 450C which
destroys and sheds the magnetic surface on the platters and
de-flattens/melts some platter materials.

But a quick hole will do for most purposes and will prevent embarrassments.

MeJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk