[Gllug] OT, Green Issues

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Wed Aug 22 11:57:51 UTC 2007

On Aug 21, 05:34, Rich Walker wrote:
> "Andy McGarty" <andy at mac1systems.com> writes:
>
> > I have an oak seedling.  Are you north or south of the river.  Don't thin=
> k  =
>
> > it would post well?
>
> You may want to check that what you plant is drought resistant. Planes
> are good for surviving poor air quality.

I recommend Hawthorn survives well in just about any soil, beautiful
cream flowers in spring, wonderful greenery and great autumn colour.
Native species supports one of the highest numbers of invertebrate
species of any tree, oak being the first afaik.  Has the added advantage
of providing shelter and habitat for small bird species from cats and
other predators due to it's thorns.  If given space turns into a quite
impressive tree with the bonus it twisting form gives interest in the
bare deep winter months.

http://www.imagesoflincolnshire.co.uk/Hawthorn.jpg

> Pages 7 and 8 of this:
> http://www.garden-designer.co.uk/Images/DROUGHT%20RESISTANT%20GARDEN.pdf
> seem to be helpful. Oak is on the suggested list.

Don't be too keen to tidy up ;)

http://www.buglife.org.uk/conservation/adviceonmanagingbaphabitats/lowlandwoodpasturesandparkla.htm

> *goes back to waiting for tomatoes to turn red*

Ha ha you will be lucky this year. :P

--
Peace Jim :-)

 If violence and retaliation were truly an effective way to fight terrorism,
 the Middle East would be the safest place in the world.
 --Kenneth L. Brown

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk