[Gllug] Ceasing an ADSL telephone line

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Sun Aug 19 17:53:56 UTC 2007

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, Paul Cupis wrote:

> I am not saying that Jason is lying, I'm saying he is incorrect. What I
> am saying is that saying:

I'm not incorrect. I am speaking from fairly frequent experience.

> "The ISP would not have known as BT do not place an ADSL cease until
> they are actually processing the PSTN cease - often the day they
> actually cease the phone line."
>
> is incorrect, and spreading a misconception. BTwholesale are very good
> at notifying it's customer that ADSL services are being ceased due PSTN
> services being ceased. They are not as good when it comes to lines being
> unbundled (either SMPF or MPF).

BT Wholesale are generally good but what you are missing is that they no
longer handle any provisioning (including cease orders) as these are now
all handled by BT Openreach who are still nowhere near as competent as BTW
were.

This applies to IPStream as well as *MPF orders as all are now handled by
BTO who do *not* always send the notices before the cease is processed as
they should.

> I cannot remember the last time I had a customer cease their phone line
> and we were not notified in advance (read as, it was well over a year
> ago).

About 5 days ago for me. How many orders are you dealing with per month?
I'm handling several hundred which isn't much but I know from others that
my experiences are not unique by any measure. It's something Enta are
continuing to raise with BT and OFCOM.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG		     Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/	       up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk