[Gllug] [Fwd: [piksel] Outrageous disaster: Ogg/Vorbis spec taken out of HTML-5]

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Dec 19 23:00:03 UTC 2007

On 18 Dec 2007, Richard Huxton verbalised:
> The problem is that you and I can see the value in free codecs, but if
> you round down to the nearest 1% then there are *no* users of
> Ogg/Vorbis.

There are no users of Ogg Theora, and no technical advantages of it over
other formats. (It's bad enough that I can't imagine transcoding any of
my existing videos into it.)

There are plenty of users of Ogg Vorbis, and it has a number of pretty
major technical advantages over MP3. (All my CDs are encoded in Ogg
format: upon switching from MP3 all I noticed was a little extra battery
life on my portable media player, a little less CPU consumption, free-form
tagging, and audibly better quality. From my POV there were *no* downsides.)

--
`The rest is a tale of post and counter-post.' --- Ian Rawlings
                                                   describes USENET
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk