[Gllug] compile & run keyboard shortcut in Emacs

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Dec 16 21:07:52 UTC 2007

F Andersen wrote:
> I use Emacs to write my C programs but then I have to quit Emacs to compile
> and run. If there's a need to change the program, I have to open Emacs again
> and repeat the process.
>
> I'm used to using Bloodshed Dev-C++ under Windows, where simply pressing F9
> compiles and runs. Is there something similar in Emacs?

Given that it's Emacs you're asking about the answer is inevitably "yes".

I incline towards vi so can't tell you the Emacs way of doing it
(although I have absolutely no doubt there is one), but you could always
run Emacs in one window and do your compiles in another.  In any case,
once you progress beyond a trivial program you're going to want to use
make to ensure that all necessary compiles are done each time you change
a file.

HTH
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk