[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Richard Cohen vmlinuz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 03:21:03 UTC 2007

On 12/02/07, damion.yates at gmail.com <damion.yates at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2007, John Hearns wrote:
>
> > damion.yates at gmail.com wrote:
> > >
> > > In general I'm now very disappointed at this group.  So many
> > > Windows using quitters.  I'm not about to write a further 1000
> > > word essay on this, but suggesting Cygwin just to pick one
> > > example, makes me cry.
> >
> > What in the blue blazes are you talking about?  "Windows using
> > quitters" ???  There is a whole range of Linux expertise on this
> > group - as evidenced by people from abroad regularly asking us for
> > advice.
>
> Well _obviously_ I'm not talking about them :)
>
> My email was just a bit of a brain dump of pent up annoyance over many
> things an old timer (actually I'm only just 32) like me keeps seeing.
>
> This list, I'd hope would have some beginners, but mainly be full of
> the nerdiest geeks and Linux lovers around!  People who grew up coding
> in assembly, typically not even with mnemonics, just raw hex :)

[snip-snip]

> Damion

To be honest, we normally stay out of these discussions, having had
them and got bored 10 years ago...

It's not about 'catching up'.  Obviously, we can take inspiration -
and even motivation - from other operating systems, but while we may
be on a moral crusade, we're not in a battle or a race.  We do what we
do, they do what they do, we learn from each other, and hopefully
everyone ends up with a better system in the end.

It's not a zero-sum game.

Cheers
Richard
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk