[Gllug] front panel light

Julian Somers lists at bigpip.com
Thu Feb 15 17:08:02 UTC 2007

An obscure question (yes, another one):

I want to put LEDs on the front panels of some headless servers, that
indicate when the server is booting. It would light up when you power up
the box, and turn off once the box has reached the runlevel where user
can log into the web interface. If I had such a thing, I might be able
to stop people repeatedly turning on and off servers while they are
fscking their big disks once a month -- a common cause of death.

I imagine it might be possible to take 5v from a USB header on the
motherboard to light up my 'wait' light, and then turn off this power
from a script when runlevel 3 is reached.

Does this sound feasible?

In other words: those little bendy lights on stalks that run from laptop
USB ports: can you turn them off from the commandline?

thanks,

Julian