[Gllug] Testing PCI

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 14 17:49:04 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 Feb 2007 11:37, Pete Ryland wrote:
> On 14/02/07, Mark Williams <mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > Anyone know how to thoroughly test a Dell PCI bus?
>
> This doesn't really make much sense since the bus doesn't really exist
> as a separate entity in it's own right.  It is merely a bit of copper
> that connect all the devices together.  The CPU and chipset control
> the bus and grant access to it so that not more than one device drives
> the bus at any given time.  If two devices try to drive the bus, you
> will get a "bus error".  This is not because the *bus* is faulty.  You
> should perform checks on the CPU/chipset, memory and all devices
> connected to the bus in order to eliminate bus errors.
>
> Pete

Yeah, fair do's, I meant subsystem perhaps - Thanks!

My problem is that nothing goes wrong, except when he tries to put Windows on
it. All the bits seem to work, it's just that oh-so-unhelpful error message;
& of course we're not logging anything by this stage. I can test RAM, HDD
etc - individually they're fine. So I'm left thinking it's a chipset thing?

Perhaps it's self defense...

Mark

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk