[Gllug] Partioning advice needed

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Mon Feb 19 23:42:43 UTC 2007

Nix writes:

>(Thankfully some ex-ZFS hackers, e.g. the inimitable and irrepressible
>Val Henson, are working on the problem :) )

Indeed. chunkfs looks interesting on that front. Val has that rare
combination of talents: being able to design and implement clever
new ideas *and* to be able to explain them coherently to the rest
of us.

>It looks like dtrace will be superseded in the coolness stakes by
>systemtap any time soon (can dtrace trace userspace processes? systemtap
>will be able to Real Soon Now)

Yep. When I first saw systemtap, I thought it looked like a great
idea, but was some way behind dtrace, which it appeared to just be
cloning. But the more I looked into it, I realised that systemtap had
the better design, and could potentially do a lot more. It was just
a matter of time before it caught up and overtook dtrace. It still
has some useability issues (particularly when, for example, trying to
trace a program on a production box without a C compiler), but it's
getting better all the time, and it's now an essential debugging tool
for me.

Tet