[Gllug] Partioning advice needed

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Feb 20 11:25:52 UTC 2007

On 20 Feb 2007, Tethys verbalised:

> Nix writes:
>
>>I concur. The one application I thought it might be useful for was
>>snapshotting every visible fs, mounting the snapshots, and then backing
>>them up: but, no, snapshotting / is unreliable
>
> It is? I do it every night, without problems.

If you're under memory pressure at the wrong instant (such that lvcreate
or its shared libraries are paged out of memory), or the code is
restructured such that it happens to need a new page from its binary or
shared libraries at that instant, you'll deadlock because the source
(i.e., /) is SUSPENDED during snapshot creation.

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names