[Gllug] Acer Aspire notebook with grub on MBR

Mark Sayer goltor at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 15:00:08 UTC 2007

Hello all,

My first post I believe, although I've been reading the list for a while :-)

I've recently acquired an Acer Aspire 5633WLMi which came stock with Windows
Media Centre Edition. I have repartitioned my disk and backed up the
PQSERVICE partiton, which contains various utilities and a D2D restore
method for Windows, before removing it.

During the fedora install I decided installing grub on the mbr would be a
good idea. Problem is Windows will no longer boot from grub, it basically
blinks with the grub entries and goes straight back to the grub menu. My
grub is configured correctly with the standard:

title Windows XP
        rootnoverify (hd0,1)     # yes this is where windows is
        chainloader +1

I have come to understand that Acer in it's infinite wisdom puts some kind
of magical code in the mbr which relates to your windows licence and hd
serial number.

Now, I can apparently resolve this by using the MBRwrWin.exe (PQSERVICES)
utility which restores the Acer mbr to the disk and then using boot.ini to
load linux...

But being the linux enthusiast that I am, I would much much much rather use
grub.

Is there anyone that has resolved this before or has any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark