[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

Mark Williams mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 2 19:19:32 UTC 2007

On Friday 02 Feb 2007 18:55, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Mark Williams wrote:
> >>
> >> It doesn't automatically reboot after applying updates.
> >
> > Mine does....
> > I presume you mean Windoes here?
>
> Yes. The most I get is a "Do you want to reboot now?" prompt.

I come in on Weds morning to find a rebooted PC from the overnight update,
whenever the update requires a reboot.
Not every update does & not every Tuesday has an update. Also not every update
installs itself, I'm unsure why.

All in all I find the process patchy, at best.

I am aware that I could download the centralised update thingy :) & improve
this, but I don't need to & haven't bothered.

I do keep a few Linux PC's on our work network, for tools & Apache & Faxserver
& I'm looking at Asterisk right now. But then it is my network & I have the
right to do this. Updates are much less hassle on these.

One other benefit of ownership of large networks is the ability to play silly
buggers:
http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cpdnboinc/team_display.php?teamid=47
Curiously, this is pretty much unnoticeable in use. I still bet Juergen's boss
wouldn't like it :) & wonder how much of its PC power is illicit?

Mark

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk