[Gllug] Re: New Linux user here ^^

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Fri Feb 23 17:21:01 UTC 2007

Craig Millar wrote:
> On 23/02/07 09:33 +0000, Ryan Cartwright wrote:
>>> As I understood it (and I've not looked into it that deeply to be honest) if
>>> you want bleeding edge kde, amarok etc (read desktop) stuff under Debian you
>>> are best off using unstable. Whereas I get the impression that the wait is a
>>> little less with ubuntu.
>> I assume you mean the wait for it to "stablise" is less? I had the
>> impression that Sid gets package updates before Ubuntu simply because
>> Ubuntu is an attempt to stabilise Sid so it has to wait. It's a little
>> difficult to compare them though as Ubuntu works on the principle of
>> releases and Sid does not. That would imply the way you utilise them is
>> different.
>
> Well, sid is "unstable"

I know what I meant was the wait for it to move down (up?) the
distribution tree into testing and then stable. I use Sid and not Ubuntu
so  my question was based on some ignorance on my part. Someone had told
me that Ubuntu was effectively to stabilise Sid and I assumed this meant
that they effectively waited for a package to be in Sid before they
moved it over. My bad.

>, but for example in Debian to get kde 3.5.6 you'd
> have to go to experimental.

So then what you meant originally was "if you want bleeding edge kde...
you are best off using experimental" and not unstable? ;o)

> Ubuntu has this same release in stable. This
> example may only be applicable to the kde packages however.

probably not but I don't really pay attention to what packages are
available and when in distro's other than the one I use.

hmm, perhaps not the best platform from which to launch a defence then :o)
--
Ryan Cartwright
http://www.cafamily.org.uk/oss
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk