[Gllug] NTL + Wireless network problems

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Mon Jan 8 23:34:09 UTC 2007

Welcome Pete, It might be that the default packet size of 1500 byles is
too long for the network and each packet is being split in to two
packets every time.

Find out the name of the wireless interface with ifconfig then to lower
the MTU try:

ifconfig wirelessinterfacename mtu 1400

You might need to experiment with the 1400 figure, some folk say an MTU
of 1480 works, others say that the standard setting of 1500 should work
fine.

Others on this list on NTL might know an appropriate figure. Which NTL
area is this in? As the networks may be set up slightly differently
depending on their history...

Ken

Admin wrote:

> Firstly hello to all as this is my first post here.
>
> My daughter is running a Kubuntu box with wireless networking that
> worked flawlessly on the wireless network here (ADSL line and Netgear
> WPA encrypted Access Point).
>
> She has moved to student accommodation in London where they have an
> NTL cable modem + Belkin Access Point and she says the connection is
> very slow (almost unusable) whereas Windows boxes 'just work'.
>
> Has anyone on the list had success with a similar NTL setup, or is
> there a problem with this ISP?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Pete.

believed to be clean.