[Gllug] ADSL2 router help / recomendation

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 10:00:57 UTC 2007

On Wed 24 Jan, Simon Perry wrote:

> t.clarke wrote:
> > We use a Draytek Vigor with a static IP address connected to a Linux firewall
> > box and it works fine, with no natting.
> >

> I presume you have a IP block here and the router and the firewall both
> have public addresses. I have a block of public IP addresses with my
> account so this wouldn't present a problem.

   I have not yet bothered, but I have been assured that the ADSL
modem/router does not require a public IP address, as long as there is a
through connection to any/every allocated public address. If you only have a
single IP address, that can be allocated to the firewall and port forwarding
used to extend the connections on. An address block is no longer a
requirement, (although I assume that any single port can only be forwarded
to a single box).

--
Chris Bell