[Gllug] ADSL2 router help / recomendation

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Jan 26 18:43:16 UTC 2007

On 26 Jan 2007, Alex A. Smith said:

>>Not good enough. I want an ADSL box to be a pure passthrough device. I
> don't want to have to set up port forwarding for services I might happen to
> be
>>interested in. I want *everything* to be passed through to my firewall box.
>
> Does your machine have PCI Slot's spare, if so look at the Zoom 5506 PCI
> ADSL Modems(1)(2).... I use one in my Gentoo box without any issues. Much
> more convinent than having a router IMHO.

That's the first time I've *ever* heard anyone describe those PCI things
as being more convenient than a separate networked box. They're hell
under Windows and worse hell under Linux in my experience (if they work
at all). And, of course, you can't power them off separately.

(If you have a PCI slot spare, sling a network card in it and hang an
external router off that...)

--
`The serial comma, however, is correct and proper, and abandoning it will
surely lead to chaos, anarchy, rioting in the streets, the Terrorists