[Gllug] OSS Spam filtering, virus scanning email solutions

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jan 4 15:54:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 15:15:11 +0000 (GMT) Chris Bell
<chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu 04 Jan, John G Walker wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 14:03:14 +0000 (GMT) Chris Bell
> > <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >

> > >    Your reply talked about sending mail to, not receiving mail
> > > from, journalists.
> >
> > No it didn't.
> >

> > Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 12:03:37 +0000
> > From: John G Walker <johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk>
> > Subject: Re: [Gllug] OSS Spam filtering, virus scanning email
> > solutions To: Greater London Linux User Group <gllug at gllug.org.uk>
>
> > say that it was the subscriber's responsibility to ensure that
> > emails sent to them would get through. In other words, if emails I
> > sent to them got blocked they forfeited their subscription.

I'm not sure why you've quoted this. This is extracted from my
experiences, which I gave as  background information concerning my
comments. It does not say anything about journalists or who's emailing
whom.

>    which does not assist with the problem faced by the OP who was
> trying to avoid blocking legitimate incoming emails, whatever the
> originating address.

Which does assist with understanding why I made my subsequent comments,
which addressed his problem directly.

>A similar problem can exist if someone has to
> use a facility provided by their hotel. It may be a temporary
> location that is infected with some unknown worm or virus. Another
> example would be an exhibition centre such as Olympia, where there is
> a resident block allocation for use of the stand holders, but that
> block of addresses is well known and subject to continuous attack.
> Anything sourced from there could trigger a spamblock, which could
> again make a normal blacklist give a false positive.

My God! Twenty-four hours have passed, and you've grasped it! But why
didn't you go on to repeat what I said: that blacklisting is not a
solution to his problem but, rather, the source of it?

Now that you agree with me, can we please stop this rubbish?

--
 All the best,
 John