[Gllug] Energy consumption puzzlement

Cillian de Roiste cillian.deroiste at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 15:17:12 UTC 2007

I was lured by the energy efficiency claims of the itx boards too, but
in hindsight I think a better way to go from an environmental
perspective and to get far more computing power for your money is to
get a laptop with a broken screen (from ebay or otherwise). I got a
P4M 1.6Ghz last year for £50 and it's far superior to my epia 12000 in
just about every way, yet the epia cost £500+ and was a new machine.

It's not always the case that older hardware is going to use less
energy though, so your experiment sounds interesting. CRT monitors
being an obvious example. I wonder how difficult it would be to create
a calculator to work out when it makes environmental sense to
decommission a pc and harvest the raw materials from it.

Cheers,
Cillian
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk