[Gllug] OSS Spam filtering, virus scanning email solutions

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 14:50:11 UTC 2007

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 13:08:25 +0000 (GMT) Benedikt Heinen
<gllug at ml.icemark.net> wrote:

> Not a great solution, but you might be able to create a procmailrc to
> handle all the spam stuff  (that's what I do, but I'm only doing this
> for myself).
>
> Write a procmail recipe for it and make this the default one for all
> users (possibly added to everyone's home directory with no
> permissions for them to alter it [i.e. make the recipe belong to
> root]).
>
> That recipe could then, say,
>
>    - first run the anti-virus software  (you'd likely want to do this
> for everyone anyway)
>    - second, immediately put everything from your "known"
> correspondents into the user's mailbox.
>    - third, run any mail so far not touched by the previous rules
> through your regular spam filtering.  (Any spam you find, either add
> to a "user" spam folder; or locally forward to a central spam
> mailbox).
>
> If you want to add the possibility of the user doing his/her own
> filtering, do an include for a user file at a "good" point in the
> file, and create an empty rules file for that purpose, which the user
> can edit himself.
>

> This way, you can make sure that dodgy ISPs don't cause a problem (as
> the spam filter will not even get to see email from your known
> correspondents). It also makes sure, that email from your "known"
> senders will always get through, even if they're forwarding something
> with a "dodgy" text that might otherwise fall prey to bayesian
> filters.

If you know the addresses that the journalists are using, why not
create an email address specifically, and exclusively, for their
purposes. Don't bother testing for spam. If the email message comes
from one of the addresses it's been created for then accept it,
otherwise delete it.

You only need to get complex if you don't know your journo's address
until s/he sends a message,

--
 All the best,
 John