[Gllug] Clock running at double speed!

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Mon Jan 22 00:17:41 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 05:09:23PM +0000, John Winters wrote:
> I've just been struggling with an odd problem on an old computer.
> (Sorry - I keep recycling these things for worthy causes.)
>
> The computer as a whole seems to work fine, but the clock drifts at an
> astonishing rate.  It's running Debian Sarge, with a 2.6.18 kernel and
> if I clock-watch on the desktop the clock seems to run at exactly twice
> the correct rate.

What kind of CPU does the box have? I have an embedded box with an AMD
Geode in it, and the TSC is a bit iffy, causing much clock skew if the
TSC is used as the timer source.

on a 2.6.18 box, I get this at bootup:
Time: tsc clocksource has been installed.

Check the kernel-parameters.txt file in the kernel source's Documentation
directory. Look for the clock= parameter (which, although marked as
deprecated, should still work). Perhaps there is an alternative clock
source you could use?

If you manage to find an option which works, it's probably worth posting
details of your CPU and motherboard to lkml to let them know about it.