[Gllug] SATA - new drives and old BIOSes not compatible?

Christopher Mocock chris at wavestore.com
Fri Jan 19 09:57:39 UTC 2007

Christian Smith wrote:
> No problem. Even the most unreliable drives should be replaced < 10
> times for the life of a machine. In a 5 disk RAID 5 array, would you
> really expect 50 seperate disk failures?

There are other scenarios where replacing disks might be desired. To use
an example that applies in my work; if you have a digital video recorder
for CCTV, you might want to remove disks containing video for review on
a separate viewing station, then replace the removed disk with a fresh
one to allow the surveillance recording to continue whilst the review
takes place.

You wouldn't normally need to remove the disk for review but sometimes
the police insist on such measures, the only alternative being seizure
of the complete recording unit.

Chris.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk