[Gllug] Moving System to a new Disk - checking out my plan...

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Wed Jul 4 06:46:58 UTC 2007

Nix wrote:
> On 2 Jul 2007, Ken Smith stated:
>
>> I manually changed the init script in the initrd and all is well......
>>
>> And I learned a fair bit more about the fine details of the boot
>> process.....
>>

> Note that initrds are obsolete, so you may have learned out-of-date
> stuff... the recommended approach these days is to use an initramfs,
> which is sort of the same only different (among other things the
> necessary stuff can be built into the kernel image as part of the kernel
> build process, so the kernel is completely self-contained again).

Forgive me I may be using the wrong terminology. The file I unraveled
and changed was /boot/initrd-2.6.20-1.2952.fc6.img  from an otherwise
normal FC6 setup with a 2.6 kernel. As its a 2.6 system, I imagine its
using initramfs but the file in /boot was called
initrd-2.6.20-1.2952.fc6.img. In fact my new one is called testrd.

Or have I missed the point?

Ken

believed to be clean.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk