[Gllug] A few words on the topic of stock spam

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Jul 11 15:18:42 UTC 2007

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, John Winters wrote:
>
>> (I had an interesting variation the other day.  An american woman
>> actually *phoned* me trying to give me a stock tip.  As soon as I worked
>> out what the call was about I simply hung up and she then phoned back!
>> It's not much, but at least she had to pay for two calls.)
>
> The sad fact is that these days it costs them very little to make such
> calls and I suspect the value of your time really is a lot more than that.

Yes - the quality of the line told me that they must be using some
really dreadful (but presumably very cheap) transatlantic provider.  I
can call the USA for 1.5p / minute and I get a much better connection
than that.

I know it's not much, but I console myself with the thought that if
everyone had the sense just to hang up then they would eventually go bust.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk