[Gllug] A few words on the topic of stock spam

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Jul 11 07:47:38 UTC 2007

tid wrote:

> On 10/07/07, *John G Walker* <johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
> <mailto:johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk>> wrote:
>

>     Mind you, my attitude to people who get
>     burnt by stock spam is rather like those who get burnt by 419 emails:
>     serves them right for being greedy,
>

> Out of my small portfolio, the two worst shares I have bought have both
> been pumped by recent spams. Neither
> improved the price at all.

I think the stock pumping spam is simply going to run out of steam soon.
  It's the same problem that pyramid schemes run into - the number of
people in the population is large, but you need an infinite population
to sustain such schemes for any length of time.

By the time you've applied all the selection criteria:

a) Active stock dealer
b) Thick
c) Thick enough to fall for it twice

you've got down to a very small subset of the population.  As tid
observes, it seems that the e-mails are not having any effect on prices
now.  Once the scum stop making any money (and they'll actually be
losing money because although they don't pay out to send the e-mails
they do have to pay out on their speculative dealing) they'll stop
sending them.

The important thing is just to pour scorn on them at every opportunity -
they'll go away.

John

(I had an interesting variation the other day.  An american woman
actually *phoned* me trying to give me a stock tip.  As soon as I worked
out what the call was about I simply hung up and she then phoned back!
It's not much, but at least she had to pay for two calls.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk