[Gllug] ext3 filesystem suddenly full

Geo caparo.g at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 07:49:47 UTC 2007

On Friday 22 June 2007 08:31, t.clarke wrote:
> I totally agree with Jason's comments.
>
> In my very limited experience of installing Linux distros from scratch, my
> recollection is that you don't get much info as to what is absolutely
> needed in root, what can be mounted elsewhere and importantly how much size
> the 'other' filesystems need to be.
> Without that info is difficult trying to create a system of a suitable disc
> structure.
Hi,
Also back in the day disk partitioning tools were hardly intuitve, a lot
better now.
 A rule of thumb used to be 70Mb for /, split the rest of the disk /etc = 25%
and divide the rest betwen /var & /home and pref /home on a second disc.

> The temptations is therefore to just let everything go into one
> file system and then sort it out later (which for various reasons may not
> happen!).
>
> On a similar note I am constantly horrified by Windows systems with a HUGE
> disc,  installed as 'C'  with everything crammed into it.   When Windows
> eventually breaks (as all windows do eventually  hehe) and really needs to
> be reinstalled its a complete pain.   Likewise I am surprised at the number
> of commercial Windows applications that shove their database in a
> sub-directory/ folder or there own program-directeory rather than giving
> the option to put it elsewhere (preferably on anotehr partition/drive).

Hmm having had to do the odd doze install I found I could put it just about
any place big and load all the programs on other discs by using the "expert"
install feature if not it will shove it self either in it own directory or
under windows programs on the C drive.( at the moment the only win box I am
responsible for is spread over 4 discs (non raid) for the 3 users involved )

Geo.

--
TTFN
   Caparo