[Gllug] Puke - Berlin Bundestag will switch to Outlook and Exchange

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Fri Jun 22 06:53:56 UTC 2007

Christopher Currie <ccurrie at usa.net> writes:

> At work we have been using M$ Word 97 to extend & sort, once a week, a
> growing 'database' (actually a Word .doc file alphabetised by paragraphs) for
> some years. As the file grew, Word 97 became unable to sort it. Increasing
> the RAM on the PC kept it going for a few weeks but it started to hang again.
> I assume that the number of paragraphs exceeds some array-dimension or key
> limit in Word.

> Any other software solutions that people can suggest? (I can't imagine the
> bosses agreeing to convert the PC to dual-booting with Linux).
>
> We have two similar smaller 'databases' which are still Word-sortable and
> likely to remain so for some years, and copies of the files need to be
> mailable to one or two staff to work with at home. So I don't want to suggest
> a proper relational database system, which would seem to be a sledgehammer to
> crack a walnut.

As a paragraph in Word (and indeed most word processors) is really just
a line, how about storing it as a text file and using sort(1).

It has two interesting (for you) options:

       -b, --ignore-leading-blanks
       -f, --ignore-case

If you lack a real OS, there is surely a win32 sort binary.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk