[Gllug] OT Internet connection

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Mar 17 20:35:05 UTC 2007

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 08:35:17 -0000 (UTC) "John Winters"
<john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:

> > There's always a cost in being a middleman. Someone at the council
> > probably plucked the figure of an average of 50p per tenant per week
> > out of thin air. It sounds like a minimal figure, but - as Jason has
> > sussed - it's actually quite high. The real cost of dealing with
> > problems, complaints, etc is probably a lot lower,
>
> There's no reason for the council to have to act as middle-man.  Once
> the physical infrastructure has been put in place, each resident can
> have his or her own account with Sky.
>
> Or does the proposed £25/year include the Sky subscription charge?

Without knowing the details (eg which council, never mind anything more
specific) I'd speculate that they're thinking of two sets of costs:

Firstly, they have to get Sky to fit the dish and cabling. This
involves one or more council employees writing letters, making
appointments, checking that the work is done, etc.

Secondly, they're going to have to field complaints from people that
probably should go direct to Sky, but won't. If you think council
tenants aren't going to complain to the council if there's a problem
with their Sky subscription, you don't know human nature,

--
 All the best,
 John