[Gllug] top-like command for disk io ?

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 22:12:14 UTC 2007

John Hearns wrote:

> I was going to open my mouth and ask if XFS would not be a better choice
> for video applications.
> Looks as if the "guaranteed rate I/O" stuff is available, but not for free:
> http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi/0650/bks/SGI_Admin/books/GRIO2_AG/sgi_html/ch01.html

I believe that realtime subvolume supportis now in the standard kernel
source tree, and is freely available:-

*Full* GRIO with hard guarantees is not implemented, but that requires
hardware support anyway. For the vast majority of users, the support
that exists is more than good enough, and for the few where it isn't,
you're looking at spending a lot of cash on hardware.

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk