[Gllug] Free Vs enterprise OSS releases

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Wed Mar 28 23:34:24 UTC 2007

Chris Jones wrote:
> RHEL packages and Fedora packages are not necessarily compatible at all.
> They will probably mostly work, but you may get bitten and afaik there
> is no guarantee that Fedora packages will even install on RHEL, let
> alone work properly.

To paraphrase this a little:

Of course it won't fricking work!  It may _appear_ to work, but you're
in for pain if you trust that long term. Let's extend the logic a little:

My microwave dinner comes wrapped in plastic.  My new Playstation
Portable. comes wrapped in plastic.  Because it's safe to put the meal
in the microwave, it must also be safe to put the PSP in a microwave, right?