[Gllug] OT Internet connection

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Mar 13 21:10:57 UTC 2007

> I have been interested in a pure wireless connection provided
> by now.com but have been unable to find anyone in London who
> uses this service (it seems, they operate mainly in the Thames
> Valley area west of London). If my memory is correct, John
> Winters, who used to regularly attend GLLUG meetings when I was
> able to and still frequently posts, lives/lived in their area.

I live in the Thames Valley (Wallingford to be precise) but not apparently
in their coverage area.  It seems to be quite hard to discover what areas
they do actually cover.  The process is that you put in a postcode on
their web site and they say, "No, we don't cover you".

I remember a service like this in Reading a few years ago (6?) which may
be related.  That was pretty much a case of line-of-sight from central
Reading.

> Does he by any chance know of now.com and whether their service
> can be used with Linux?

Pass.

> Virgin Media perhaps would do - broadband and telephone with the
> same BT number for £26. However, I've no idea what the service
> is like and exactly what is actually involved in the 'fair
> usage policy' (I know what they say, but ??!!).

AIUI Virgin Media is a re-branding of NTL.  Now it may be that there has
been a complete re-work of customer services at the same time, but NTL's
customer service has always been mind-bogglingly bad.  I had to get Oftel
involved just to get them to process my cancellation of service.  They'd
ignored all other forms of communication for over 6 months.

John