[Gllug] Faster maths?

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Fri Mar 9 12:37:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, March 9, 2007 12:24 pm, - Tethys wrote:
> On 3/8/07, Adrian McMenamin <adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info> wrote:
>
>> I have some perl which indexes and dithers a PNG image to a 256 colour
>> palette.
>
> Of course, the obvious question is... why perl? Use the right tool for
> the job (which in this case is probably a 2 line shell script and
> netpbm).

Well, the reason I started this was because I wanted some code to stick
into a cgi script that was at the backend of some J2ME database driven
stuff (that processed JPEGs into PNGs - as PNG is the default format for
mobiles).

I wanted some code to shrink the size of the PNGs - as this environment is
so slow and it's still about 0.1p per KB of data delivered.

I got that bit to work - the rest is just intellectual enquiry to be honest.