[Gllug] Question re Linux compatibility of certain laptops

Christopher Mocock chris at wavestore.com
Fri May 25 09:14:14 UTC 2007

Pearson, Jamie wrote:
> This does not mean very much to me, but I understood from what I had
> researched that Thinkpads were highly linux-compatible. I'd be grateful
> for anyone that could tell me whether they are right (I am not
> interested in setting up a partition so that the laptop can run Windows
> and Linux, I only want the Linux system on there). If they are right,
> could anyone suggest a cheap but durable laptop that would be
> Linux-compatible? Final question: I'd also be grateful for any thoughts
> on whether you think that someone with no Linux experience could install
> a basic distribution - say, Mandriva Powerpack or Ubuntu (not Debian or
> Gentoo) - without getting into serious problems. I have no experience
> but am trying to get up to speed with all the information on the web on
> this, so read "inexperienced but enthusiastic novice"!

Thought I'd just address the second part of your email. When you buy new
hardware like this, there may be a few things which aren't
straightforward to set up. But the good news is that there's a huge
community out there all trying to get similar kit working, so I'd say
take the plunge and go for it, but be prepared to spend a while on
google, and some mailing lists such as this.

I notice that the compatibility pages posted by Paul M showed problems
getting the wireless to work, although there is a driver available. You
may find that it doesn't work for some time, but eventually it will get
fixed. When I first bought my laptop, there were no drivers for the
wireless chip, but within 6 months the drivers were completed and it now
works perfectly.

With patience and bit of tinkering, you'll get it all working and learn
a lot along the way. It's a rewarding endeavour.

Cheers, Chris.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk