[Gllug] VoIP at home, softphone, interoperability

Tue Nov 27 12:33:25 UTC 2007

What is recommendable as a home-use, Linux softphone client, that is
interoperable with Windows and popular 'VoIP' services?

Christmas is coming. The relatives down-under have presented themselves
broadband, and thinking Skype is the bees-knees want to talk-cheep, er
cheap. It'll likely only be a use once/twice a year thing (unless some
magic overcomes us!) I'm bemused by all the choices, the claims and
counter-claims - the professional arena seems so much simpler by comparison!

Interoperability: us on Linux, them on Windows, likely using Skype,
NetMeeting, or Google Talk. Some talk to each other, others require the
same at each end. Guess I could recommend they install 'something else'
under Windows to be compatible with what we install, but you know
families...

Security: end-to-end encryption seems a joke, SIP doesn't seem popular
on Windows, do I need to worry about the equivalent to Google cookie
tracking? OTOH this is only family gossip so hardly HMRC content.

Anybody looked at this 'bottom end' of the field?
Am seeking recommendations for software/services, or criteria/warnings
upon which to concentrate the mind (and search engine)...

Regards,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk