[Gllug] VoIP at home, softphone, interoperability

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Tue Nov 27 16:10:04 UTC 2007

Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 12:33:25PM +0000, David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:
>> Interoperability: us on Linux, them on Windows, likely using Skype,
>> NetMeeting, or Google Talk. Some talk to each other, others require the
>> same at each end. Guess I could recommend they install 'something else'
>> under Windows to be compatible with what we install, but you know
>> families...
>
> Much as I'm loathed to say it, Skype is still the only softphone which
> is easy to use.

Make sure you get the V2 beta - the old version doesn't like ALSA very much.

> For SIP, I've used Twinkle and Ekiga, and configuration is just
> ridiculously complex and fragile.

I spent several days attempting to get SIP to work, and gave up. Which
surprised me - I guess that Skype has got all the non-technical SIP
users...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
technical director     251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk