[Gllug] automatically starting eth0:1 after network connection lost

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 16:48:20 UTC 2007

On 20/11/2007, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Aaron Trevena wrote:
> > So.. anyway - my feeble google skills are failing me here and I was
> > wondering what the simplest way is to ensure that eth0:1 comes back
> > when eth0 does? (it's a Centos 5 box)
>
> this should help:
> [ RHEL 5 manual url ]

I don't see any mention of the aliased device working when the DHCP
one does - only that they share the same NIC, which I knew already.

Maybe I wasn't clear...

I have an alias (the server only has 1 NIC) with a static address -
the network link/physical layer is prone to going AWOL, I want that
alias to return as soon as OSI lower layers do, currently that isn't
the case - I don't believe that onboot has any impact either unless
anybody can point me at documentation otherwise.

So it looks like a cronjob or maybe heartbeat to ensure that the
static ip is always available.

*sigh*

A.

--