[Gllug] Low Power / Quiet - Silent PCs

Adrian J Cole adrian at ajcole.com
Fri Nov 2 08:30:04 UTC 2007

> Chris Bell wrote:

>>> If you're going that route, then a koolu might suit -- I certainly cannot
>>> hear it (over all the other machines in the house ;-) but if you were
>>> running it thin-client there'd be no need for a hard drive, so it would be
>>> totally silent:
>>>
>>>   http://www.koolu.com/
>>    And make sure the whole cupboard does not overheat, it may take longer
>> but it can still cause failures later.
>>
>>Adrian j Cole wrote:

>   I have built a pretty much near silent pc using the following and i
> have two 500gb sata drive in it.
>
> Antec case with www.acousticproducts.com mat inside
> Two Noctua 800rpm fans, cannot hear them at all.
> http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/intelcooling/ninjaplus
> replaced the cpu fan with one of those
> A totally silent power supply, though it does have a big fan spining
> slow....
>
> My temp monitor shows only 35c for the case temp
>
> Adrian

Adrian J Cole Wrote.

To clarify the last statement, the psu is

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/psus-300-500/zalmanpsu

And the two silent case fans are 120mm spinning at 800rpm one blowing in
and one sucking out.

All memory has heat sinks on, the cpu has that giant heatsink linked above.
The gpu is totally fanless as well, with a big passive heatsink one it,
made by MSI, an Nvidia 512mg job.

The Antec case is extremely heavy, rubber damped, all hard drives are
suspended in rubber and specifically designed for silent running. The
heavy case make for no vibration noise at all.

I can only ever hear the case very late at night when there is no noise
in the house and even then it only sounds like someone is breathing,
though in real terms it is silent.

The case temp currently is 37c and the cpu 36c.

Adrian
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk