[Gllug] 64 bit v 32 bit

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Sat Oct 27 11:24:05 UTC 2007

I have two desktops that are capable of running 64bit OSes though both
are currently running 32 bit Ubuntu 7.10.

Is it worth upgrading - and will backing home directories on to tape,
clean install of amd64 Ubuntu 7.10 and then restoring the home
directories work for this? I did this last weekend for the other half
when giving her a shiny new box so I know it will do the job for the
same bit width...

Thoughts? Will I see any material difference in performance or is this
just me indulging in my fascination for technology for no other reason?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk