[Gllug] Embedded Linux & 1Gbps?

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at ossified.net
Tue Oct 16 20:53:10 UTC 2007

Thomi Richards wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I'd like to build a small embedded box that runs Linux - but I'd like
> to have 1Gbps ethernet connectivity. I can't seem to find any; Does
> this indicate a general lack in the market, or is there a technical
> reason for it?

One has to ask why. I assume this is based on an assumption that you can
get 1Gbps out of some other device, which is surely misplaced. I've
never seen a gigabit interface attached to a server doing more than
about 120Mbps while doing anything useful with the data involved (cue
disagreement from people who just do disk benchmarks using `dd
if=/dev/zero...`)

> Most of the boards I've looked at(*) seem to run at around the 250Mhz
> mark. Not knowing anything about the hardware theory behind these
> products, could this be the limiting factor?

Not really; 1Gbps also looks like 32MHz * 32 bits wide. You wouldn't be
able to do much else besides, apart from push the bits out somewhere
else though :)

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk