[Gllug] Linux Certification Opinions or facts please?

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Fri Oct 19 08:51:58 UTC 2007

James Roberts wrote:
> A suitably chastened Egonfaz asks:
>
> 1. Does anyone know (preferably from direct experience) whether the LPI
> certifications are now up-to-date (for example, referring to later
> kernels than 2.2)?

I've not done them so can't comment on this bit.

> 2. Is the possession of the qualification of any value?
>
> I am attempting to fix a training regime for our trainees and want them
> to have something of use to them when they leave our employ (which some
> day they will).

Just FYI we have a training budget assigned to each staff member and I
regularly ask my team if there are courses etc. they want to go on.
Normally they say no. Recently they suggested we use some of the money
to buy a Safari[1] subscription for the team, which we did and that has
gone down a treat. I use it too :o)

> I do not expect any qualification to substitute for experience.

This was going to be my point - experience will almost always win over
qualifications. As an employer[2] I've sifted through many applications
that had "I'm currently studying for LPI" on them. Most of those were
clearly just attempts to satisfy our requirement for Linux experience
(e.g. they had no experience at all) but those who had experience and
also were studying for LPI (oddly nobody has ever applied who actually
*has* it).

So from an employer's POV - if someone had LPI I would consider it a
bonus above someone without but only if both had similar experience
levels. Having said all that, the fact that is true is more likely
because a) I've heard of LPI and b) I know what it is. Some employers
will not have heard of it and may well dismiss it because it will (to
them) sound like a "business training college" type certificate.

HTH
--
Ryan Cartwright
http://www.cafamily.org.uk/oss