[Gllug] Cheap Linux PC, I'll get me coat

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Oct 22 16:28:13 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 04:45:14PM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 16:34 +0100, DL Neil wrote:
> > Quoting Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk>:
> > > BTW: what would people recommend as a UTP providing broadband modem
> > > these days ?
> > > Many of them have management interfaces that *really* suck!
> >

> > What do you criticise about the interfaces?
> >
> Alain meant USB interfaces, such as the Alcatel 'frog'

Sorry: I was talking about 2 things:

* USB interfaces (such as the frog). It worked for me, but died about
  once a month - needing a modem power cycle.
  Getting it going wasn't too hard: for me as it would be for most readers
  of this list, but would be 'impossible' for Joe Sixpack.

  Is support for these any better these days ? Which ones ?

* Also the modem with the ethernet connection (or small hub). These are
  the ones that generally have a web based admin/config interface.
  Some of these are great, some are truely dreadful.

  The trouble is that what can be bought does not stay still for long;
  my D-Link box (DSL-604+) has a good interface, but I have seen other
  D-Links that suck... in the spirit of making simpler some have become
  do dumbed down .... :-(

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/