[Gllug] [OT] SSH or VPN?

Andrew Roberts ar at nooneishere.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 08:39:22 UTC 2007

On 26/09/2007, Tom Weissmann <trmsw at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Our clients like us to be able to dial in a fix things on their system,
> but they are suitably paranoid; since they let us connect using a VPN,
> they stipulate that any computer on their VPN must be completely
> disconnected from our network.
>
> This effectively removes our access from important information,

We also experience this problem and found the best way to have both
VPN access and local network access is to run the VPN inside VMWare.

This means that your local machine is still connected to the local
network and the VM will be connected to the remote network. Whilst you
still can't transfer files particularly easily without shutting down
the VPN, you can transfer the clipboard from the host to the VM and
vice-versa, which for most of the time seems to be sufficient.

Regards,
Andrew.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk