[Gllug] Routing / IPCop

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Sep 26 08:05:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 22:33 +0100, Ken Smith wrote:
> The ADSL line is not that reliable and the capacity is lacking. The
> upstream bandwidth limitation of ADSL is limiting the performance of the
> VPN. I was thinking of something like an IPCop box but with two ADSL WAN
> connections. The crude solution would be to route the VPN over one ADSL
> and everything else over the other. I doubt that PPTP would work over
> two lines at once, that sounds like a recipe for a muddle. I have read
> about bundling ADSL lines for higher bandwidth but with a single IP  -
> how complex is that to set up - and would that solution continue work if
> one line died? That would be more elegant. What ISP's support line
> bundling in that way?

It's called bonded ADSL (yes we do sell it) and you can use it to
combine any number of ADSL connections to achieve higher speeds and
resilience against a single line dropping.

If you are bonding non-MAX lines you can expect a significant
improvement in both upload and download. Bonding MAX doesn't always work
so well for the download but does for upload.

You do need either a Linux box with Sangoma ADSL cards or a Cisco
router. If you get a managed service you would get the router supplied
with it and the connection is monitored with an SLA of sorts (ADSL is
provided without SLA by BT) . If you get an unmanaged service (at must
lower cost) it's up to you to supply the router at your end and the ISP
only supports each line as an ADSL connection plus the bonding
configuration at their end.

Jason Clifford
--
UK Free Software Network