[Gllug] Yet more problems with an external disk drive

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 20 14:48:20 UTC 2008

I use fstab to define the permissions on an external drive, in order to
be able to use the drive to store backups.

In the past, the drive has been identified as both device sdb1 and sdf1
(though not, of course, simultaneously), and so I've provided entries
in fstab for both these, and it's worked so far. Well at least until
yesterday.

Yesterday, after a reboot, the drive was identified as device sdd1, and
consequently last night's backup failed.

Any idea as to handle this unpredictability? Or, better still, how to
make the device identifiable? Preferably, in either case, before I tear
my hair out.

I'm running SuSE 10.2,

--
 All the best,