[Gllug] Help!! XP CD copying problem to change linux partitions -

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Thu Apr 24 21:21:11 UTC 2008

--------

"M.Blackmore" writes:

>Should I specify that the file should be called an iso or is the file
>type identifier automatically written, as in:
>
>dd if=/dev/dc0 of=dellxp_sp2.iso ... where I write the "iso" bit in
>manually?

The filename is irrelevant. You can call it "dellxp_sp2.iso" if you
like, but you could equally call it "tony_blair.jpg" or "xyzzy" or
"?$ -2*(%" if you so desired and it would still work...

>And what does that do with the "unreadable" track 0 - read it bit by bit
>anyway even if it isn't in any recognised file format??

Yes.

>Once its an "iso" does it matter what application is used to burn the CD
>rom blank?

Your choice of burning application is likely to be somewhat limited.
As far as I'm aware, pretty much every application you'd use to write
a CD under Linux are essentially wrappers around either cdrecord[1]
or cdrdao anyway. If one doesn't work, try the other. I've always had
success with cdrecord.

>What, exactly, is "cloning" in K3B then?

Never having used it, I'm afraid I can't help here, but using dd
gets you a bit-for-bit copy of the disk. Subsequently burning the
resulting image with cdrecord will get you an identical copy of
the disk, regardless of the file system on the disk (be it iso9660,
ext2, vfat or something else entirely). IIRC, this doesn't necessarily
hold true for DVDs, but I could be mistaken about that.

Tet

[1] Or whatever the Debian cdrkit fork of it is called.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk