[Gllug] Viglen MPC-L

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Tue Aug 12 12:26:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:12:45 +0100
David Power <David.Power at viglen.co.uk> wrote:

> I've tested and played with one or two of them here, they're not
> quite up to the challenge of openoffice or any sorts of gaming
> (chassis not exactly designed for multiple SLI cards...) but they are
> just fine for many other purposes such as web browsing, remote
> terminal access, light weight user apps

I've got a pair of them, and they're "just about" OK for basic server
tasks - I've got one running DHCP/DNS for my network, and a basic
MoinMoin wiki. I've not got any experience of using them as a desktop -
but the UbuntuUK podcast gives a pretty good review.

David - as I see you're from Viglen... any idea if "you're" planning on
fixing the broken ACPI on the devices? Is there a newer BIOS available?

The Xubuntu installation switches off ACPI (acpi=off), but this seems
to have the nasty side-effect of turning the power button into an
"Instant Off". This can be worked around by removing the acpi=off
line, and adding "pci=noacpi" as the system seems to have a problem
with enumerating PCI devices using ACPI (kernel panic) :(

... or at least that's how it works for me on RHEL4/5 :)

Cheers,

Jon
Jon Fautley RHCE, RHCDS, RHCX        email: jfautley at redhat.com
Senior Consultant                    cell :     +44 7841 558683
Global Professional Services
Red Hat UK, 200 Fowler Avenue, Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14 7JP